For all patients:
- The patient has to fast for at least 6 hours before the scheduled time. The ideal level of blood glucose for scanning is FBS≤200mg / dl.
- The patient is free to drink water at that time. Consumption of 1-2 liters of water in fasting time before the scan and 250-500cc during the rest period after injection of radioactive material and before the scan is recommended.
- Avoid performing any heavy work at home or sports activities for at least 24 hours (preferably 48 hours) before the scan time.
- No use of gum is recommended 24 hours prior to the imaging.
- Wear warm and comfortable clothes in cold seasons. Your outfit should not contain metal objects (including a metal button).
- Diet: Consume high protein foods and low sugar and starch for 24 hours before scanning.
- Drinking alcohol, cigarettes, tea, and coffee for 12 hours before scanning is prohibited.
- Sugar cannot be consumed with tea or coffee within 24 hours prior to taking pictures. Also, consumption of carbonated beverages and industrial juices containing high levels of sugar is prohibited. The use of artificial sweeteners and sweets is also prohibited.
- Do not eat bread, rice, pasta, vermicelli, potatoes, legumes, and nuts for 24 hours before scanning.
- Chicken, fish, meat, eggs, butter, dairy, and salads are safe.
- Any medications other than diabetes are always taken with water.
- The list of used medications and previous images including radiology, CT scan, MRI, ultrasound or nuclear medicine including previous PET / CTs are to be provided before the scan.
- Bladder drainage is required immediately before the scan is performed.
- Patients who control their blood sugar only by diet: prepare according to the above list.
- Non-insulin dependent patients: If the time is set for you before 12 noon, stay at 12 midnight, and avoid breakfast or anti-diabetes pills. If the time is set for your illness after 12 o’clock, use your diabetes mellitus and your pill as usual, and then stay fast for 6 hours until the appointed time.
- Insulin-dependent patients: It is advisable to ask for your appointment before 12 noon. After taking your food and insulin, stay in constant for 4 hours until the appointed time. Take your insulin with you. If the time is after 12 noon, eat breakfast as usual at regular intervals. Use your own insulin as always. Between insulin consumption and the time of injection of the radioactive substance, there need to be at least 4 hours apart.
Medications: All medications taken should be used according to the current procedure before and after the scan.
Special treatments before scan, if needed
- Oral administration of 0.5 mg of Alprazolam at the time of radioactive injection for head and neck patients, claustrophobia, and anxiety
- Oral administration of 20 mg Propranolol or 10 mg Diazepam half an hour before the injection of the radioactive material to suppress the FDG removal by brown fat.
- before scanning to examine the colon masses, Metformin intake should be stopped for 2-3 days.
- Avoid exposure to cold or chill air for 2 days before scanning
- Stop all use of air conditioners on the day of the scan
- Avoid opening the car windows when you go to the center of the image and use the car’s heater on cold days.
- Make sure to wear warm clothes and hats while coming to the PET/CT center during the cold days of the year and wear long sleeves and trousers in warm seasons